April 05, 2013

MOUNT KINABALU - WORTHY OF THE EFFORT

On 24th March 2013, that was the exciting moment everyone ( Jacky , Jacky Wife and Me )was waiting for. Getting our baggage to weigh and after that, go go go!! Our journey to KK and then to Mount Kinabalu ...

Before we started to climb Mount Kinabalu, we went to the Kinabalu National Park and stayed at one of their hostels for one night only.


After we were done with breakfast, we gathered all of our bags to be carried by porters. The porters charge RM9 per kilo and for each of us, after the bags sorted out, we were driven to the base of the Mesilau by shuttle van.


We arrived at Mesilau Gate and we started to go into the woods at around 8.38am. I was fine going up with my good friend Jacky and his super friendly wife.We reached 3 Km. There was a hut so we stopped by to eat our lunch since it was almost noon. I did not finish the lunch pack that was prepared. The lunch pack consisted of 3 sets of sandwiches .

The part we enjoyed the most along the Mesilau trail was the view. It is like a wonder world. If you watch “The Chronicles of Nardia” before, certain part of the forest is just like what we observed along the Mesilau trail. Once hiked until certain height, you will observe that the landscape is different. There is full of Bonzai a long the way. If you were to purchase a Bonzai locally, you will need to take care of it, trim and prune it. Just imagine, over the hill, it is full of Bonzai with different sizes being big and small, tall and short….and yet all of it is taken care by nature. That is the power of nature! I was amazed and appreciated the art of nature that shaping the trees to different sizes.


After 4 to 5 hours of hiking, I started to realize that the hiking stick was my best companion in the world! Never had I felt so contented that the decision I made to purchase it was perfectly right even though it was a last minute decision. Now I really understand the usage of it to support me not only up hill, but down hill as well. Wow…I just love it so much. Together with my teammate, It was after 3.5 Km that I was tired and I got a headache. I did not bother to eat and I drank water only. I dreaded the whole journey going up to Laban Rata. Jacky ahead of us he reached Laban Rata by 3pm where by Jacky wife and i reached around 4pm ,Without the hiking stick, I am sure we will stretch even longer to reach. What a super tiring journey. What’s more I can do in Laban Rata but to rest, rest & rest to recuperate my fitness. Although I experienced slight headache, Panadol did a great job!


Ask anyone who has reached the peak of Mount Kinabalu and he will share with you an enthusiastic account of the tremendous feeling that accompanies one who has made the climb successfully. With the wind blowing in your face and with cold etched on your hands, standing there tells you that you have lived the life of a winner. It is a reflection of the overwhelming determination that must be exercised to go past the pain barrier and to relentlessly move on, step by step until the peak is reached.

4 things i learn while preparing for Climbing MK

1) Desire - you must have an overwhelming desire to climb the mountain!
2) Dedication - you must have a commitment that will make you pay the price of training
3) Discipline - you will train and prepare even when you don't feel like it
4) Determination - you will continue even when you think you are failing









No comments: